Sunday 26 June 2011

What to do about watering?

What to do indeed, when there is no water source at the allotment. We have the River Witham flowing by, about 100 metres away. But other than that nada. Zilch. Rien. 100 metres is a long way if you are carrying 2 full watering cans and are going to need 10-15 trips!
In previous years I have followed my lottie neighbours' advice: he waters well at planting time, looks after the soil with plenty of good stuff, and doesn't bother about water again. But this year we are officially in the drought area and it became clear that I was either going to have to water or watch stuff die. Hence this afternoon found me driving to the lottie with 71 litres of water in containers of various sizes stashed in the boot of my car.
The water is rainwater from a water butt and the containers are largely recycled so all fairly green so far. But driving it there??? If anyone can calculate the carbon footprint of that one I would love to hear from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lincolnshire Sky

Lincolnshire Sky