Wednesday 22 February 2012

Bees, Butterflies and Blooms

I am all fired up about pollinators! Inspired by BBC2's Bees, Butterflies and Blooms, which talked about not just annuals but perennials too, I intend to grow more insect-friendly wildflowers not just at the lottie but also in the difficult, narrow areas around our patio. Poor soil, full sun...sounds just right.
I will have to remove the chipped bark from the borders which is, of course, not a welcoming environment for tiny little flower seed. But that is no great problem: it is wearing pretty thin and has been scattered about by our resident blackbirds anyway. I will have a look at what seed mixes I already have. I know there are a few.
Him Indoors won't be impressed as I don't think he regards such planting as sufficiently "tidy". Never mind. If he doesn't read this he won't find out until it is too late!
Tonight's programme also showed a border with flowers interspersed with runner beans. Not sure how practical that would be in term of physically getting to the beans to pick them - but I wonder if that could work in the front garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lincolnshire Sky

Lincolnshire Sky