Monday 11 May 2015

2015 tomatoes

I've worked hard this morning. I have planted out the first lot of tomato plants. I got them started early, with the help of my secret germination weapon: the airing cupboard. I am trying a different variety this year, from my new favourite online seed supplier, the Real Seed Company.
The variety is called Latah - supposedly one for your earliest crop. It's a super-early variety that should tolerate short or cool summers. The leaves are very far-spaced on the stem - the plants look a bit odd – and this apparently lets in more light to reach the fruit so they ripen even earlier. Lets hope so. I waited until September for any tomatoes last year!
They look a little forlorn in the photo below. It was so windy they were bent over double.
In addition to planting these out I finished preparing the rest of the seedbed, did some hoeing, and harvested two enormous carrier bags full of spinach which I have yet to transform into something edible.
I rewarded myself for all my hard work with a glass of wine to accompany my lunch. A little decadent for a Monday lunchtime, however, I have done all of that plus loads of washing. Oh, and I'm still suffering from post election blues. I think I've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lincolnshire Sky

Lincolnshire Sky